From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Package version requiring sse
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:18:29
1 On Sunday 07 August 2005 12:03, Ivan Yosifov wrote:
2 > Then the only fail-safe way to do it is to print a big red warning and
3 > pause for 10 seconds during ebuild emerge.
4 Probably is the better plan, looking for tc-arch = x86.
5
6 > Given the valgrind-3.0.0
7 > keywords ( -* ~amd64 ~ppc ~x86 ) I guess most people on those arches
8 > have SSE anyway. AFAIK all amd64's have SSE, I don't know about ppc, and
9 > I doubt anyone is running Gentoo on i686.
10 Well ppc doesn't have SSE but I think the SSE stuff is limited to x86 arch
11 anyway, All AMD64 cpu that I know of have SSE support, but there are many
12 people running Gentoo non machines that does *not* support SSE, like
13 Athlon-Thunderbirds. I was one of them before replacing the main box, and I'm
14 still using the tbird for G/FBSD.
15 I know of people running it on 300MHz P2s (without SSE, too), so better avoid
16 assuming that "nobody is running on a i686".. there still are i586 out there
17 (and distcc or binary package creation from another machine can do the trick
18 for them usually).
21 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
22 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
23 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)