From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mirroring Gentoo project/team members on GitHub
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 02:43:37
1 On 08/11/15 10:32, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > Now that we're officially on git and can officially use pull
5 > requests to provide rapid community interaction, it'd be convenient
6 > to have a little better framework for pinging package maintainers.
7 >
8 > With the unofficial mirror/pull request project, I was either
9 > looking for project member GitHub accounts and pinging found
10 > project members by name, or talking to them directly on IRC.
11 > However, with the growth in number of pull requests this will
12 > become more and more inconvenient. Therefore, I think it's time to
13 > be able to mirror teams willing to work with GitHub community there
14 > for easier 'pings'.
15 >
16 > I have two ideas right now:
17 >
18 > 1. creating GitHub Gentoo project teams corresponding to willing
19 > Gentoo teams,
20 >
21 > 2. preparing lists of GitHub usernames on project wiki pages.
22 >
23 > Solution 1. is cleaner. In this case, we create GitHub teams under
24 > the Gentoo projects, and add appropriate Gentoo developers having
25 > GitHub accounts to the teams. Then, in PRs we can just ping the
26 > whole team like @Gentoo/Qt or like.
27 >
28 > Solution 2. avoids adding any GitHub teams. In this case, in team
29 > wiki page we collect team member usernames like "@Pesa,
30 > @kensington, ..." so we could copy-paste it to pull requests. We
31 > still require extra effort when 'assigning' PRs but at least I
32 > don't have to lookup the same people over and over again.
33 >
34 > With some Wiki people help, we could even implement updating
35 > GitHub teams automatically following Wiki member changes.
36 >
37 > Your thoughts?
38 >
39 Why not use LDAP?