From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: USE=libav news item
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:25:21
1 On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 07:18:13 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:37:09 +0100
7 > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> > media-video/mplayer2 or media-video/mpv may be used as a more
10 > >> > modern replacement.
11 > >>
12 > >> Don't recommend mplayer2, afaik it's dead.
13 > >
14 > > Also, I'd drop "modern" from there: I don't see much more modernity
15 > > in those forks except maybe younger maintainers :)
18 > Is there an exhaustive list of packages that don't work with one or
19 > the other?
20
21 not really as ideally there shouldn't be any; mplayer is the most
22 notable example, xbmc used to be but not sure these days
23
24 > I suggest just cutting the subjective parts out of the last paragraph:
25 >
26 > Please also note that some packages support only one of the two
27 > implementations. An attempt to install one of those packages will
28 > result in blockers unless the user changes the global USE=libav
29 > state. The most notable example of such package is
30 > media-video/mplayer. media-video/mplayer2 or media-video/mpv may be
31 > used as replacements for users who prefer to use libav.
35 yes that's what i meant, but also dropping mplayer2 from there too:
36 http://git.mplayer2.org/mplayer2/
37
38 even good old mplayer is much more actively maintained and evolving :)