From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:52:16
1 Replying to my own so this doesn't get too deep.
2
3 No Grand Unified Theory of Everything yet, but I have an idea that may at
4 least solve the multilib and crosscompilation support issues other than gcc
5 itself.. very rudimentary, mind you.
6
7 Thoughts in random order:
8
9 Specifying a toolchain implies package atoms, binary names and any parameters.
10 Each profile specifies what toolchain should be used for its own arch.
11 Each profile specifies what toolchain would be required from a host arch.
12 A profile can specify another profile to use for compiling for a different
13 arch destined for the same root.
14 Packages for a different arch cannot be merged into a root unless specified by
15 the profile.
16 New atom type: cat/pkg&arch <-- substitute whatever token feels good.
17 /var/db/pkg/${ARCH}/ <-- packages are always slotted by arch
18
19 No time to put these thoughts in to paragraphs but I hope you get the idea..
20
21 Still to come: Dynamic slots.. How did we get so off topic?
22
23 Regards,
24 Jason Stubbs
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list