From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ standard in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 17:25:07
1 I don't understand what a potential solution would be.
2
3 The various projects use -std=c++XXX because that's what their code
4 requires. -std=c++XXX can't generally be changed. If a dependent
5 project is incompatible that's no different than any other case of
6 incompatible dependencies in Gentoo.
7
8 I think -std=c++XXX discussions before happened because gcc changed
9 the C++ ABI with -std=c++11. I don't think that's particularly
10 relevant here, since as far as I know different -std=c++XXX values
11 don't change the ABI with current gcc.
12
13 So I guess my understanding is that there isn't a problem different
14 than existing incompatible dependencies, but maybe I have
15 misunderstood you.