From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:33:45
1 m h wrote:
2 > I'm not a gentoo dev (just a satisfied user), but I lurk on this list.
3 >
4 > I was at PyCon last month. I would estimate that about 40% of the
5 > people there ran linux on their laptops. The most popular distros
6 > were gentoo and ubuntu. (Not this is not a scientific study, just my
7 > observations from talking to people there). While I was there the
8 > person next to me starting hacking the ebuild classes to handles eggs
9 > (so he could emerge turbogears). I talked to at least 3 others who
10 > were running gentoo. I asked all of them if they had worked on
11 > portage. Most said "No, the code is a little scary". (I'll concur
12 > with that sentiment, as the code doesn't feel very pythonic).
13 >
14 > If you want to attract more developers (python people), a few things are needed:
15
16 That depends on how they contribute, I personally don't want random
17 python master bob contributing pieces to portage itself. Portage things
18 are not necessarily as simple as people make them out to be. Even
19 developers who know the code well make mistakes in adding and removing
20 code. As solar once pointed out "the only man I trust to touch the
21 resolver is Jstubbs." I realize thats a bit elitest...but at the same
22 time...I am overly cautious ;)
23
24 However we always accept patches and I think we get most of them
25 critiqued, sometimes it may take an extra prodding mail or two. We
26 usually don't implement your features for you though ;)
29 > * Portage documentation. How the innards work. There is very little
30 > docs/comments in the portage code
31
32 Someone has to write them; I have some of it done, it's been a longtime
33 project that I've worked on off and on; I actually had more done last
34 year and I know kutsuya did some as well. However these are not
35 particularly interesting..and no one wants to document the 2.X branch.
36
37 > * Unittests - without this how do I know that my change to portage
38 > didn't break someone else's corner case
39 No one is writing unittests for the 2.X branch
40 > * Refactoring into a more pythonic style. Note that this is pretty
41 > hard without unittests.
42 See above :)
45 > Take this as a grain of salt, from an observer, who believes that
46 > there are a lot of potential users (who know python), and who could
47 > easily contribute, if the bar was lowered a bit. (Or steps were
48 > provided to reach a little higher ;))
49 >
50 > -matt