From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 05:55:57
1 On 11/17/2014 09:47 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > I use 2.2.14 on both hosts (and usually latest ~x86 portage is
3 > there). I thought that running fixpackages should be enough to run
4 > emerge with --dynamic-deps=n.
5
6 It depends on how badly the installed deps have diverged from the
7 corresponding ebuilds in the tree.
8
9 > I'm afraid I will not be able to run emerge @changed-deps prior to
10 > @world update due to too old packages installed (e.g. versions not
11 > in tree anymore), blockers and unsatisfied deps.
12
13 Yeah, it's probably better to run it after, but skip it if emerge
14 --dynamic-deps=n seems to behave well already.
15
16 > When I'll manage to run emerge -DNupv @world without errors, I'll
17 > send you stats for both runs with and without dynamic deps.
18
19 Great, hopefully that will reveal some more good things to optimize.
20
21 > By the way, do you need pstats files (e.g. for some extra data) or
22 > pdf graphs are sufficient?
23
24 The pdf graphs are typically enough for me, since they highlight the hot
25 spots really well. I did not even bother with your pstats files.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac