From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 19:01:49
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > GRUB2 does away with the conventional stage files. It also wants a
3 > special BIOS Boot Partition in order to function. That is where it
4 > stores the equivalent of the stage2 bootcode. That is similar to
5 > FreeBSD's bootloader.
6
7 Now, that should make for a fun migration! Fortunately I do have a
8 separate boot already, and I guess I can be daring and overwrite it in
9 place and trust in grub2 to still find the kernel elsewhere.
10
11 Those without a separate boot and without any free space are likely to
12 find this to be painful. Resizing partitions isn't exactly
13 risk-free...
14
15 Rich