From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Namespace for users created for packages
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 08:28:38
1 On 3/26/14, 2:32 PM, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
2 > Conclusion, in short, is to prefix system users (with some exceptions like root
3 > or nobody) with underscore '_'. So you would get users like '_pop', '_vdr',
4 > '_tor' or '_znc'. OpenBSD already does that[3]. openSUSE proposal with more
5 > details can be seen on GitHub[4].
6 >
7 > So the question is, what would you think about such a policy in Gentoo?
8
9 +1
10
11 Also the consistency of UIDs between installations seems to be a good thing.
12
13 Maybe we don't necessarily need that in Gentoo from the start, and just
14 using the underscore prefix would have nice benefits, but since we're
15 changing things I'd say let's consider that, and consistency with
16 openSUSE would also be a plus IMHO.
17
18 Paweł