From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:04:14
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > with the discussion about EAPI3 we have now 4 (or 7, depending on how you
5 > count them ;) ) EAPIs available or almost available. This is getting quite
6 > confusing.
7 > To make our lives easier I would suggest deprecating EAPI0 and migrating
8 > existing ebuilds over some time to EAPI1 or higher until EAPI0 can be
9 > obsoleted at some point in the future.
10 > I would set the start of deprecation warnings about 3 months from now and the
11 > obsoletion quite a time later, maybe 12 months from now, when a sufficient
12 > amount of ebuilds has been migrated.
13 >
14 > Deprecating EAPI1 at the same time would reduce the amount of EAPIs we have to
15 > think about, but since it has some changes like adding src_prepare migration
16 > would not be as trivial. So I'd prefer keeping it around a bit longer.
17 >
18 > Comments?
21 > Patrick
24 While there definitely arguments for deprecating EAPIs, I would suggest
25 caution.
26
27 A low number of active EAPIs can make life easier for developers, but it
28 can also make life harder for some users. There are still users coming
29 to the forums upgrading systems which only understand EAPI 0. I accept
30 that Gentoo is certainly a relatively fast moving distro, but I think
31 that developers also do need to consider users who have systems that are
32 currently "just working" and may not upgrade often (once a year or even
33 less).
34
35 As such, I would suggest that forcing a move to the most recent stable
36 EAPI is possibly unwise.
37
38 I believe that forcing EAPIs to move forward at too quick a pace will
39 cause more issues for these users. An answer to this could be to set a
40 standard for the minimum time between upgrades - for example, 1 year -
41 and ensure that users with anything that old can atleast upgrade portage
42 and its dependencies to the minimum required versions without major issues.
43
44 I understand that this may cause extra work in some respects, but if
45 such a standard is set and documented then it will help users (admins)
46 by giving them a set frequency at which they must upgrade at least the
47 package manager, if not @system.
50 Secondly, it was suggested that a project to upgrade all ebuilds in the
51 tree from EAPI 0 could bring new developers, offering KDE4 as an
52 example. I would offer caution on this assumption. KDE4 was not simply
53 about upgrading ebuilds, but about users (contributors) and developers
54 being able to install and test packages they wanted to install and test.
55 I can not realistically see such an effort being asserted in the name of
56 simply deprecating EAPIs.
57
58 Yes, breakage occurred, but this was as far as I can see a complete
59 rewrite of the KDE packaging from scratch. As such I would suggest that
60 a certain level of breakage was to be expected. I would also suggest
61 that the speed at which bugs are being fixed may be more of an indicator
62 of lack of man power than anything else, and that the situation could be
63 improved by looking at expending more effort on encouraging
64 contributions and ultimately recruiting developers. I realize that
65 getting people to expend effort on non-coding work can be difficult, but
66 I think that ultimately the effort expended will be repaid in terms of
67 extra contributions.
70 In general, I would have to agree with those who believe there are
71 currently better ways to expend effort within Gentoo. As such I would
72 suggest that at most, EAPI deprecation only applies to new packages and
73 version bumps.
74
75 AllenJB