From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Long Time No See
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:18:45
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 06:41:01PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > :
5 > : Hi Jerry,
6 > :
7 > : welcome back. Daniel and I have similar real job problems at the moment,
8 > : so development
9 > : goes a bit slow.
10 >
11 > Okay, I'll try not to feel too guilty.
12 >
13 > : Latest iso is still rc4_pre. I made a up to date build.tbz2
14 > : (gentoo-x86-dist/gentoo-1.0_rc4/packages/build-20010404.tbz2)
15 > : yesterday, but portage is a bit flakey at the moment so it is a good
16 > : idea to wait till the bugs are fixed, before you try to update.
17 > :
18 > : I have reworked the half of our packages for rc4. Take a look at
19 > : current-packages.rc4. I decided to force myself to rework at least 10
20 > : packages a day to get this stuff done.
21 >
22 > Should I just use the rc4_pre iso, or should I use the make-iso.sh
23 > script to roll together a new rc4_pre2 iso with the latest packages?
26 I can't tell you if make-iso.sh works at the moment.
27
28 > : The latest portage package includes a new script called emerg. Once it
29 > : works it recursively compiles all required packages. So you can grab
30 > : the build.tbz2 and say emerge kdebase-2.1.1.ebuild and everything that
31 > : kde base-2.1.1 depends on get build automatic.
32 >
33 > Is this working or will I need to wait until portage is stabilized?
34
35 You need to wait, but daniel is currently fixing the most important bug,
36 so
37 it should work soon.
38
39 > Also, how hard is is now to rebuild and update the base stuff (for
40 > example, I'd like to compile all the base stuff with i686 optimizations
41 > and drop them on top of the defaults)?
42
43 Do you want to updated your running system? That can cause problems. It
44 was announced here that manny apps
45 segfaulted after upgrading glibc to version 2.2.2.
46
47 You can build a new system with your prefered host and cflag settings
48 with the build.tbz2.
49 I can give you a short intro if you are not familar with the concept
50 behind build.
51
52 achim~
55 > Thanks in advance...
56 >
57 > --Jerry
58 >
59 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
60 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
61 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
62 > || than that!
65 > gentoo-dev mailing list
66 > gentoo-dev@g.o