From: Elfyn McBratney <beu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Required Features for $package_manager to Aid... Development!
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:33:43
1 Hola,
2
3 I've been inspired by the local/global USE flag threads recently
4 posted by Doug (Cardoe), and it got me to thinking... I've recently
5 joined the pkgcore development effort, and was asked by Brian
6 (ferringb) what I'd like to hack on/what my niggles with portage are.
7 My personal one is why updates/ and binpkg mangling takes so long in
8 portage-$current. But I'd like to know, what are everyone elses?
9
10 I know that this topic have been rehashed since the dawn of
11 time^Wgentoo-dev, but these things get lost, opinions change... and
12 since last year, new and viable alternate package managers have
13 cropped up. So, basically I'd like to ask all on this list: - what
14 package manager features would make *your* life easier?
15
16 Personally, I'd like to see the following groups of changes happen one
17 way or another:
18
19 * Improve QA with/by:
20 - Detecting conflicting USE flags;
21 - Limiting the amount of times we need to call "die" in ebuilds.
22
23 Yes, that's a small list... which is why I'm sending this mail to
24 solicit even more ideas. :)
25
26 Comments, flames ("read the archives", "go jump in a pond", etc) and
27 whatever else is coming my way - hit it me with it! ;P
28
29 Best,
30 Elfyn
33 Elfyn McBratney,
34 Freenode and Gentoo Developer,
35 Nutty between the hours of 3AM and 14AM...
37 | irc.freenode.net / beu |
38 | beu [@] freenode [.] net |
39 | beu [@] gentoo [.] org |
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list