From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: AW: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:14:04
1 Hi,
2
3 the idea of a binary registry is not the path to follow imho. All system
4 critical settings and files should depend on as little libraries as
5 possible and be editable directly. This is very important in case of
6 system rescue. Putting these settings inside a database of some sort
7 really removes much of the needed flexibility and creates a magical
8 black box called 'system configuration' that no-one really knows and
9 that pretty soon can only be done through dedicate tools ... very bad.
10
11 Geert.
12