From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 08:06:57
1 On Friday 23 May 2003 03:30, Alastair Tse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've written up a list of common mistakes that users make when
5 > submitting ebuilds to us for inclusion. This stems from the discussion
6 > earlier on the list about the quality of user-submitted ebuilds.
7 >
8 > http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/ebuildmistakes.html
9 >
10 > The document is based solely on my point of view and the ebuilds that
11 > are submitted to areas that I help maintain. If you are planning to
12 > submit an ebuild (or already have), please review the points in this
13 > document and make sure are not committing any of those mistakes.
14 >
15 > If this proves to be useful, I will talk to the docs team about making
16 > some effort for an official ebuild submission QA checklist (or something
17 > along those lines.) To be honest, a lot of the points are already
18 > covered in the Ebuild HOWTO and Development policy.
19
20 I've got some aditional points for submitters:
21
22 - Please base the update on the latest ebuild in the portage tree, not your
23 own version. This is sometimes a problem with people who submit updates to a
24 package that they made the initial ebuild for. Those ebuilds are often
25 cleaned up, but with new versions you still get the same ebuild as the
26 initial one instead of an edited version of the official ebuild
27
28 - Please please, do not submit ebuilds for version bumps unless necessary and
29 if necessary tell us what changed.
30
31 Paul
34 Paul de Vrieze