From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:53:30
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 19:43, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:36:00 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > | > | > It'd also make handling use masking much easier.
4 > | > |
5 > | > | why ? because there wouldnt be anything to mask ?
6 > | >
7 > | > I'm pretty sure that USE_EXPAND has to be the same across all
8 > | > profiles, so no, masking would still be required. I'm thinking more
9 > | > avoiding the cases where amd64 users set CPU_FEATURES="blah", and
10 > | > the fooplayer package only has blah code written for x86 CPUs.
11 > |
12 > | huh ? in your schema, the variable itself would be name spaced, so
13 > | there would be amd64_CPU_FEATURES, x86_CPU_FEATURES, etc..., there
14 > | wouldnt be just CPU_FEATURES
15 >
16 > My example was demonstrating a problem in the non-namespaced case, not
17 > the namespaced solution. Expanding this with an example...
18
19 and i was saying in the namespaced solution you wouldnt need to use.mask
20 things because $ARCH_CPU_FEATURES would be set by users in the make.conf ...
21 if they go setting $WRONGARCH_CPU_FEATURES in make.conf, well i say that's
22 their own fault ;)
23 -mike