From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 23:35:10
1 >>>>> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > I put together a draft of the "fixed UIDs with random fallback" model:
4
5 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Mjo/GLEP:User_packages
6
7 > If we decide to fix UID/GID management, I think it would be a lot
8 > easier to implement that draft than GLEP:27. I would be interested
9 > in hearing for which use cases GLEP:27 would be preferable.
10
11 Our syntax for package names is more restrictive than what POSIX
12 allows for a portable user name. Therefore, there could be user names
13 that are not representable. Have you checked if all user and group
14 names currently in use (at least in the main tree) also follow the
15 rules for package names? IIRC, at some point in time we had names
16 starting with "_" (which is ugly, but would be allowed as a package
17 name) and some "foo-1" type names (which are not allowed).
18
19 What about duplicates turning up in searches for packages? For example,
20 "emerge portage" won't work any more because there would be the ones
21 in sys-group and sys-user too.
22
23 Ulrich