From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:48:24
On 06/15/2012 06:14 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> 8. I think the bigger issue is with ARM, and I'm not personally clear > on what the exact policy is there. That really strikes me as > antitrust, but MS might argue that on ARM they have no monopoly > (instead we have a bunch of different vendors who almost universally > lock down their hardware).
This requirement by M$ is applied to hardware that wants the "Certified for Windows 8" logo. If the OEMs don't care about windows 8 certification, they can provide for UEIF secure boot disabling. Since it is a "voluntary" acceptance in return for granting a consumer-fooling certification, they get away with an anti-competetive practice. They want to keep android off hardware used for Windows 8. Always follow the money. -- G.Wolfe Woodbury