From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 13:01:09
1 Markos Chandras:
2 >> Gentoo, almost all pkgconfig files come from upstream with minimal
3 >> modification. So a .pc file that is specific to Gentoo is a rare
4 >> exception, and it could cause confusion for users who installed Gentoo
5 >> on their development machine and who wish to develop new portable
6 >> software.
7 >
8 > I don't see how this is a bad thing. This actually makes us look good in
9 > the sense that we stick to upstream code as much as possible.
10 >
11 > In an ideal world, all distros would be compatible :)
14 Yeah, I was actually under the impression that gentoo is a
15 "meta-distribution" and therefor takes the pain to maintain a complex
16 Package Manager Specification amongst other things.
17
18 Our philosophy states that our tools "should be a joy to use". If we add
19 random hackery on stuff that affects portability across distros, then
20 this doesn't hold true anymore.