From: Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
To: lafou@×××××××.fr
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfce4
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:21:39
1 On 15 Jul 2003 10:48:27 +0200
2 Philippe Lafoucrière <lafou@×××××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all
5 >
6 > after doing an emerge -s xfce4, I got 18 ebuilds !
7 >
8 > * x11-libs/libxfce4mcs [ Masked ]
9 > * x11-libs/libxfce4util [ Masked ]
10 > * x11-misc/xfce4-iconbox [ Masked ]
11 > * x11-misc/xfce4-mixer [ Masked ]
12 > * x11-misc/xfce4-panel [ Masked ]
13 > * x11-misc/xfce4-systray [ Masked ]
14 > * x11-misc/xfce4-toys [ Masked ]
15 > * x11-themes/xfce4-themes [ Masked ]
16 > * x11-wm/xfce4 [ Masked ]
17 > * xfce-base/libxfce4mcs [ Masked ]
18 > * xfce-base/libxfce4util [ Masked ]
19 > * xfce-base/xfce4 [ Masked ]
20 > * xfce-base/xfce4-panel [ Masked ]
21 > * xfce-extra/xfce4-iconbox [ Masked ]
22 > * xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer [ Masked ]
23 > * xfce-extra/xfce4-systray [ Masked ]
24 > * xfce-extra/xfce4-themes [ Masked ]
25 > * xfce-extra/xfce4-toys [ Masked ]
26 >
27 > Do we *really* need so many separated files ?
28 > What I loved in gentoo is simplicity, I feel like using debian here !
29 > Since many "packages" (ebuild if you prefer) can't be installed alone
30 > (xfce4-toys for exemple), I suggest to regroup some ebuild. It's quite
31 > disturbing to get 18 * 7 lines (=126) of output when just doing an
32 > emerge -s xfce4 (expected just 1 or 2 ebuilds -> 7 or 14 lines).
33
34 OK, first off your doing a search during the middle of a move of xfce to
35 its own separate category. If you look there are 2 of each package in
36 different directories. Secondly, many of those packages are
37 themes/toys/extras that aren't part of the "core" package, they have to
38 be emerged separately if you want those. Finally, this is the entire
39 point behind gentoo, user configurability and choices. If you put the
40 entire package in one tarball it would be about 20 megs and will
41 increase steadily after the first official xfce4 release when many more
42 extras packages and plugins will be added. Some people will only want a
43 few of those packages, and being separate allows for more fine grained
44 patching/bug fixes/version bumps/security fixes. One single package
45 calls on the core packages and compiles/installs them, so no matter if
46 they are separate or not, its still going to go thru the exact same
47 compile sequence. The only thing I can think of is that you want the old
48 xfce3 which is a small single package wm, not an entire desktop
49 environment like xfce4.
50
51 You sorta hit a nerve here too, as I maintain these packages and do it
52 for your benefit, and I try to do it the best possible way for everyone.
53 Saying you should use Debian because I packaged this imho the _right_
54 way, the gentoo way, I just don't see your point.
58 Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
59 Developer,
60 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~bcowan
61
62 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
63 Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE 20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list