From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 08:04:51
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 05.01.2017 kell 22:00, kirjutas Daniel Campbell:
2 > I'm in favor of keeping software around until it breaks. When there's
3 > a
4 > non-existent upstream and nobody's willing to take up the helm
5 > themselves, it's a clear indication that it's in danger of being
6 > treecleaned. In some cases that's good; some packages get left behind
7 > and never updated, CVEs get released,
8
9 CVEs don't get released about dead packages that no-one cares about or
10 has installed as no-one is checking them for bugs and evaluating if
11 they are security bugs. They just sit there, potentially providing a
12 nice potential security hole to abuse.
13
14 > nobody cares about the package and
15 > it sits masked for a while. Those are the packages we should consider
16 > for treecleaning, not just "oh it's been 2 years since a release" or
17 > "upstream website troubles".
18 >
19 > On the latter count, does anyone attempt to reach upstream before
20 > suggesting we get rid of the package(s)? Is there not some forum we
21 > can
22 > use to reach users who may be interested in proxy-maintaining it?
23 > This
24 > discussion makes me wonder if we need (more) formal guidelines for
25 > treecleaning. I think we've got a few people who are eager to clean
26 > the
27 > tree -- and their goal is admirable -- but until we can get metrics
28 > on
29 > who's using what, it's hard to say how much damage removing a package
30 > will do for users. A thread on gentoo-user re: lastrites might not be
31 > a
32 > bad idea.
33
34 The package.masked message that is shown to a user having it installed
35 is supposed to be providing that forum to potential proxy-maintainers
36 and such, to step up and fix things within that period and save it from
37 permanent deletion.
38 That's the reason we just don't outright delete them immediately, but
39 do this "last rited, deletion in 30 days" dance. Even though the
40 message doesn't repeatedly say this for all the p.mask descriptions
41 (but maybe the package manager stock extra text does, or should).
42
43 And ultimately things can be added back, when sensible, e.g a new
44 upstream appears that fixes issues, or whatever. Perhaps this user
45 interested in it enough to care deeply about it being remove from
46 Gentoo is interested enough to become that upstream or chase down
47 someone who is willing to, or provide motivation to the old upstream,
48 or...