From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jlec@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] checking C*FLAGS used for build (was: making the stable tree more up-to-date)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:59:35
1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:46:23 +0100
2 justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 12/16/11 12:21 PM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
5 > > On Friday 16 December 2011 06:10:13 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
6 > >> Does your script do any checking on the quality of the ebuild, eg
7 > >> that it respects C/LDFLAGS. If so, that's useful and would help
8 > >> package maintainers to better prepare their ebuilds for
9 > >> stabilization.
10 > > Unfortunately no.
11 > >
12 > > For LDFLAGS there is a QA warning and is enough visible
13 > > For CFLAGS I see with the naked eye a bit of build log
14 > > My script at "end of work" just runs repoman full and cat entire
15 > > ebuild( so, imho, should be a tasks already done by maintainers).
16 > > Finally, I take a look at the ebuild to see if there are issue(s)
17 > >
18 > > This is all.
19 > >
20 > >> And congrats on making dev
21 > > Thanks ;)
24 > > Regards
25 > > Agostino
26 >
27 > You can use the post* hooks for that. For FLAGS mixing I am using
28 > CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS specific warning flags during compilation and
29 > grep for the gcc mixing warning in the build log. Probably similar
30 > things can be done for other problematic points. There was also a
31 > more sophisticated approach Diego blogged about.
32 >
33 > For respecting C/CXXFLAGS there was something Donnie suggested long
34 > ago. If you use -frecord-gcc-switches you are able to read the used
35 > LFGAS with eu-readelf.
36
37 That sounds neat. Maybe we should make portage optionally support it
38 for now (i.e. when user uses such a flag him-/herself)?
39
40 Sadly, I don't see a neat way of splitting those switches between
41 separate files being built. But better that than nothing, I guess.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny