From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cdrom.eclass vs KEYWORDS
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 21:14:03
1 On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 4:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm wondering if we're doing the right things by adding KEYWORDS to
6 > packages using cdrom.eclass. After all, it's somewhat similar to live
7 > ebuilds. That is, data is fetched outside regular PM mechanisms (though
8 > not implicitly through Internet, arguably) and it is not covered by any
9 > checksums.
10 >
11 > This creates a somewhat gaping security hole to anyone using those
12 > packages. After all, the ebuilds are going to happily install any
13 > malware you might have on that CD without even thinking twice about it.
14 > In fact, with construction of many ebuilds it is entirely plausible that
15 > additional unexpected files may end up being installed.
16
17 The eclass seems to be used exclusively by games (with one exception),
18 which are probably full of unreported security problems anyway.
19
20 > To be honest, I don't think this is a problem that could be fixed.
21 > Technically, we could add some kind of, say, b2sum lists to ebuilds
22 > and verify installed files against them. However, the way I understand
23 > we frequently aim to support different releases of the same product,
24 > that may have wildly differing checksums.
25 >
26 > So maybe the most obvious solution would be to remove KEYWORDS from
27 > ebuilds unconditionally using cdrom.eclass (and their reverse
28 > dependencies), and mask USE=cdinstall on the rest.
29 >
30 > WDYT?
31
32 Move them to an overlay.