From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] some ideas
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:31:08
1 Hi,
2
3 I have a couple ideas that could be used later on...
4
5 First, I think we could use the categories for packages in more than
6 just the portage tree. We could sort the distfiles directory by
7 category, as well as sort the directories in /usr/share/doc by
8 category as well. That way, if there's a conflict in package names
9 (not terribly likely) or in source tarball/patch file names (much more
10 likely).
11
12 Second, I think we should write a document (kind of a Gentoo-HOWTO)
13 that defines a standard file naming convention for everything that
14 goes into the CVS tree (like patches and other auxillary files), and
15 explain where everything thats installed should go, how to format your
16 ebuild file, rules on how certain things should be done in ebuild
17 files, etc. That way, we can make the portage tree completely
18 self-consistent. If you want, I can start writing something like this,
19 and then you guys can give me more ideas to put in it or tell me what
20 I should change.
21
22 Pete