From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:48:10
1 On 03/28/2012 11:43 AM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > The Portage PMS on it's next release would just do a 'mkdir
3 > /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/&& sync&& rm -rf /usr/portage&&
4 > echo "Portage has moved"' on its next 'emerge --sync' while still
5 > looking in both locations for packages.
6 >
7 > (After looking at overlays, if /usr/portage exists, check there first,
8 > if not found look in /var/cache/gentoo-repos/).
9
10 My preferred migration approach would be to change the default location
11 for new installs, and keep the existing location for existing installed
12 systems. I'd do that by automatically generating a config update for
13 make.conf, so that systems using the old defaults will continue to use them.
14 --
15 Thanks,
16 Zac