From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:03:17
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:27 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:42, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > >
4 > > * Determining the location of the kernel source code
5 > > * Unable to find kernel sources at /usr/src/linux
6 > > * This package requires Linux sources.
7 > > * Please make sure that /usr/src/linux points at your running kernel,
8 > > * (or the kernel you wish to build against).
9 > > * Alternatively, set the KERNEL_DIR environment variable to the kernel
10 > > sources location
11 >
12 > I kindof wonder why it doesn't try the sources of the running kernel. They
13 > are easilly found at "/lib/modules/`uname -v`/build". Of course as a
14 > final result as someone might want to build against different sources,
15 > but it's a better fallback than an error message.
18 There are very good reasons why it should build against /usr/src/linux,
19 or at least try that first. The reasoning being that you might
20 cross-compile, or be in a chroot where /lib/modules/... is not valid,
21 etc. I guess with the variables to set it these days it might be
22 easier, but that is the expected way. Maybe changing it to first look
23 in /usr/src/linux (or KERNEL_DIR if set), and then for the running
24 kernel.
28 Martin Schlemmer