From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: user/group manipultaion feedback request.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:24
1 Tres Melton posted <1128322169.6208.355.camel@×××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:49:29 -0600:
3
4 > However, this is going to take a couple of weeks to write entirely in
5 > bash so that it is both portable and can be used on the most minimal of
6 > systems.
7
8 Imagine seeing /you/ here! =8^)
9
10 Portability is good, but as I've been reading Diego "Flameeyes" various
11 posts as he struggles to get Gentoo/FBSD up and running, and with
12 Gentoo/Darwin and etc. in mind, I'm sure one of the requests is going to
13 be making it full borne shell standard compatible, therefore, no
14 "bash-isms".
15
16 Likewise, keep in mind POSIX compatibility when making any
17 sed/grep/file/etc calls. Don't assume the GNU versions. If you need the
18 info, I believe most of the manpages specify where the GNU versions
19 deviate from POSIX. I'm sure Flameeyes will be glad to help, as it'll
20 mean less porting issues he and others need to worry about later.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
26 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list