From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT/NIT] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:37:39
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Er, you can't be seriously suggesting we will drop repoman checks with
4 >> the migration to git? I don't see how that would benefit anyone.
7 > Interesting point. One thing to keep in mind with git is that commits
8 > don't affect the "central repository." Pushes are what impacts the
9 > repository.
10 >
11 > If I spend six months working on a bunch of coordinated package
12 > changes, nobody will see a thing until I push those commits and 500
13 > ebuilds all change atomically (not that I'm suggesting that lack of
14 > communication is to be encouraged). A repoman check on a commit may
15 > not reflect its impact six months later when it actually hits the main
16 > tree.
17
18 ... if you're squashing 6 months of work into a single commit before pushing.
19
20 I don't think we want to do that, do we? Maybe bisecting isn't
21 particularly interesting for the portage tree.