From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:51:59
1 On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:16:36 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Christina Fullam wrote:
5 > > I think everyone is overlooking the part included previously:
6 > > "An additional method discussed was to have all non-dev emails on a
7 > > timeout, pick a number of hours, and then the email if not moderated
8 > > would be released. (non-dev sends his email, time period expires
9 > > and no one booted it, so the email rolls through)"
10 > >
11 > > This means that non-dev emails will still be sent to the list, just
12 > > at a delay. This same delay can and will be exercised against
13 > > developers if the developer demonstrates a justification for it.
14 > > This also means that non-dev input will be accepted and viewed as it
15 > > always has, the only change is that there is a delay.
16 >
17 > Then what, exactly, is the damned point? The problem this is
18 > supposedly intended to solve is that -dev is too high-volume. This
19 > solution requires people to actually put MORE effort into reading
20 > -dev than they previously did. No one is going to actually do any
21 > monitoring, so all you've done is made posts from non-dev accounts
22 > time delayed. Why?
23
24 Well, I orignally proposed this as a reaction to the "beejay incident",
25 where a single mail caused complete havoc on this list. I think
26 everyone would agree that that specific mail should never have been
27 posted, as it's purpose was obvious to create trouble, and
28 unfortunately some people couldn't resist to reply.
29 I don't really like the idea (and only proposed it as an alternative to
30 splitting the list into -dev and -dev-announce), but as long as people
31 can't control themselves to ignore such posts (and I don't see that
32 changing ever) we need a way to stop them to prevent further
33 damage.
34 Yes, that incident was an extreme exception, but I really don't want to
35 see something like that ever happen again, and reactionary methods
36 simply don't work IMHO.
37
38 Just for completeness: My original proposal included delaying all
39 posts and a special moderation group, only later the idea of separate
40 policies for dev and non-dev mails was brought up. And to repeat: It
41 was meant as an alternative to splitting the list into an informational
42 and a discussion list (which is different than the -project idea).
43
44 Marius
45
46 PS: In case you're looking for a reference, this was on -core on June
47 7th.
50 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list