From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 15:40:19
1 On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:12:22 -0500
2 james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > (also, I'm not hung up on 'Jentoo' as a name; perhaps 'Gintoo'?
5 >
6 > (peace && hth),
7 > James
8
9 Way outside the scope needed here. However we pull off Zhenchoo, its
10 going to be built on top of portage and our package management with
11 extra bling.
12
13 That's what is necessary to empower people with "ready built" machines
14 to customize it in the direction of a "natural gentoo install"
15
16 All this converstation details is:
17
18 - Is a given technique good
19 - Can it be installed in tree without breaking things
20 - How do we do that
21 - Is there a place we can do it where the problem is isolated to a
22 narrow spectrum of users to limit potential fallout
23 - Is this a "Put warning bells on it and let users blow off their own
24 feet and then don't do it by default"[1] thing.
25 - Can this be a "Just package.mask the problem on hardened" thing.
26
27 All of those can be combined in some way to get and end result by
28 whoever ships the stage 4 the way they want to do it. They can use an
29 overlay if they want.
30
31 Nothing is stopping them :)
32