From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask cleanups
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:30:45
1 On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:17:24 -0500
2 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > I figured it was time for a bit of cleaning... I ended up writing a
8 > really crappy script for stable to do a check of whether package.mask
9 > entries were really referencing anything or not. Luckily Brian was
10 > able to write a much better one for bcportage.
11
12 Why are people so obsessed with cleaning package.mask all the time?
13 Sure makes sense to remove three year old unused entries from time to
14 time, but not everything that isn't actively used is invalid
15 automatically (quite sure that kde-3.5.1 stuff is a preventive mask
16 for example).
17
18 Marius
23 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
24 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.