From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a solution to the distutils/setuptools .egg-info mess
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:10:58
1 On Tue, 2022-01-11 at 19:23 +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > >
3 > > TL;DR: how to deal with setuptools (and newer distutils vendored by
4 > > setuptools) replacing .egg-info files with directories?
5 >
6 > > I should probably emphasize here that the .egg-info path contains
7 > > the package version, so this is a problem only if the same upstream
8 > > version is being reinstalled.
9 > >
10 > > You can easily reproduce the problem by playing with:
11 > >
12 > >   SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib
13 > >   SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=local # vendored
14 >
15 > > 2. We could control the distutils version in ebuilds directly,
16 > > i.e. force "stdlib" for the current versions and have developers
17 > > switch
18 > > to "local" on version bumps. Combined with 1., this will probably
19 > > increase the coverage a bit but dead packages will remain in the
20 > > way.
21 > > It also relies on all devs understanding the problem.
22 >
23 > How about switching it with a new Python version?
24 > (since that is also in the path...)
27 I'm afraid upstream is likely to drop support for stdlib distutils
28 before we manage to deprecate all the old versions... or even before
29 3.11 comes out.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny