From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 02:17:13
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 05-04-2010 18:26, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
5 > On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 04:07:01PM +0000, Jon Portnoy wrote:
6 > There should be a process of weeding out developers that bitch and/or whine, but if most of the teams are understaffed then there has to be done something about it.
7 > The way I see it there are two options:
8 > a) Scale down the size of the operation, reduce packages offered, and if there are more packages wanted, let the users maintain them.
9 > b) Look at an effective way of making the process of become a developer (and being a developer for that matter) more attractive.
10 >
11 > The first option could be somewhat simple, we already have overlays so those could simply be used. The second option (which would be the best IMO) is a fair bit harder. The first thing that needs to be done is find out why people don't want to become developers. I've heard a few users mention the quiz, but it seems that the thing keeping most people away from becoming developers are all the flame wars that have occured, and the fact that it (to us users) seems like the council isn't doing much of anything about it.
12 > So while I believe that improving (and/or updating) the recruitment process is important, I think there would be more success if it seemed like a nice place to be a part of, and that bad behaviour is dealt with.
13
14 The Council has a very important role in Gentoo, but if everyone keeps
15 turning to them to do everything, nothing will get done and they'll get
16 swamped trying to do anything.
17 Bad behaviour in the mailing lists is something that all of us have an
18 obligation to prevent and help fix - including every developer and all
19 interested community members. If and when someone violates Gentoo's Code
20 of Conduct[1] and or exhibits a repetitive abrasive behaviour, please
21 contact either the User Relations[2] or the Developer Relations[3] teams
22 in case of an user or a developer.
23 As Petteri already replied, developers who chose to focus in their
24 "corner" are free to ignore most of the mailing lists and have no
25 requirement to participate or even read the flames. In other words, if
26 you'd like to become a developer but have kept away because of the
27 flames, don't worry as you don't have to get involved on them.
28 However and despite all the recent complaints about flames in the
29 mailing lists, as someone that has been following the mailing lists for
30 a while, the amount and level of flames has been substantially reduced
31 in the last 2 years or so. We still have flames, but nothing like we
32 used to have before. Also noteworthy, the number of people involved in
33 the flames is very small and the majority is well known.
34
35 [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
36 [2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/
37 [3] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/
38
39 - --
40 Regards,
41
42 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
43 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections