From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:28:37
1 Joshua Jackson wrote:
2 > To quote one of the ebuild-quiz questions: You wish to make a change
3 > to an ebuild, but you checked the ChangeLogs and metadata.xml and it
4 > appears to be maintained by someone else. How should you proceed?
5 >
6 > A general response that is obtained from the documentation source
7 > (either the unofficial dev guide or the developer doc's) Concerns
8 > getting in contact with the maintainer before you make the changes.
9 > Explaining the how and why and either asking them to take care of it
10 > or asking for permission to do so. We've had many developers get
11 > highly upset at another developer changing even a minor thing in their
12 > ebuild...such as the simple changing of depends.
13
14 Only two groups have mentioned anything about touching modular X deps:
15 gnome and games. Gnome (in the form of dang) requested bugs filed, and
16 games requested they be contacted about changes made.
17
18 > this is a Relations nightmare. Not to
19 > mention Quality Control implications it can have, something that I
20 > think as a whole development community we've worked very hard at
21 > improving vastly.
22
23 For the relations side, see above.
24
25 I'm not really seeing the quality control aspect. Can you explain to me
26 how that works, given that all these deps have been tested in ~arch?
27
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie