From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:05:31
1 Okay let's forget the flames and talk about something related to practical
2 development today :)
3
4 As people reading my blog might already know, I've been experimenting with
5 --as-needed LDFLAG in the past days. It seems pretty stable when you don't
6 have GNOME installed (as many libraries from GNOME project don't like it),
7 but it's usually also fixable when they fail.
8
9 Now, I wanted to try writing something up about that with a quick guide to fix
10 the most common cases when --as-needed fails.
11
12 While --as-needed should remain unsupported (now and robably in the future),
13 it might be helpful to have this sort of informations lying around for who
14 wants to know how to fix the problems.
15
16 I originally thought of putting it on my devspace, but using GuideXML there is
17 a bit tricky, at least for me (as xsltproc seems to refuse working on the
18 pure xml directly).
19
20 So I was thinking if we had a way to put some "how to fix" guides somewhere,
21 on the lines of the ones written by soalr and vapier for hardened. A part the
22 --as-needed thing, it might also be useful to put something about "how to
23 solve parallel make issues" and similar things that are tricky but usually
24 just requires little knowledge of tricks.
25
26 GDP might be the place where to put them, but as they are mainly
27 developer-oriented, they might be better accessed directly by devs (at least
28 for the first steps until they are drafts).
29
30 What people think about this?
33 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
34 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE