From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 17:39:36
1 On Sun, 6 May 2007 17:27:39 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 6 May 2007 18:20:31 +0200
5 > expose@×××××××××××.net wrote:
6 > > The only solution I currently see is an additional field in the
7 > > header, a change in behaviour and therefore the GLEP itself.
8 > > In particular, this field could be my previous understanding
9 > > of "Display-If-Upgrading-From-To" namely
10 > > "Display-Before-Upgrading-From-To" which would fit the requirements
11 > > defined by the GLEP:
12 >
13 > It doesn't fit the preemptive requirement. That wouldn't be
14 > preemptive, it would be last minute. One of the reasons for the GLEP
15 > is to remove the need for last-minute pkg_setup die notices.
16
17 Assuming it would trigger on _available_ updates (and not only when
18 the actual upgrade is about to be performed) the relevant notice would
19 be shown at --sync and --pretend time, no? Then the user has the
20 opportunity to delay the update until he's prepared for the change, I
21 wouldn't call that last-minute.
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.