From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:10:05

On 06/17/10 18:21, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Now of course this will cause friction. I've noticed it especially with > germanic and slavic languages that are more terse than english. > For example "Sit down!" is acceptable in all situations in german,
maybe acceptable, sure not polite or friendly.
> You can extrapolate the friction this can and will cause. So unless > someone actively personally insults me I'll just assume it got lost in > translation.
I understand "extrapolating friction" as having the receiver fixing potential miscommunication. Is that what you meant? While it may work for you it's an inversion of responsibility again to me. I want Gentoo to be attractive to users without that skill, too.
> And there's little we can do about it because many people > don't notice these translation issues or don't know english well enough > to express themselves with the needed refinement.
Things we can do include raising awareness and keep trying.
> So let's not get too hung up on single words, stop > floodmailing and resume fixing bugs, mmmhkay?
Are you asking me to shut up? In case floodmailing refers to me: I'm not done yet. We have more or less ignored non-technical issues for quite some time concentrating on technical issues as that's easier. The thing is: Technical things work much better in Gentoo than non-technical things. Let me repeat: Technical is not our main problem. Best, Sebastian

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>