From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 10:59:34
1 May I remind everybody that by QA policy allocation of UIDs and GIDs
2 in the range 0..100 needs explicit approval by the QA lead:
3 https://projects.gentoo.org/qa/policy-guide/user-group.html#pg0901
4
5 I have fixed the used_free_uidgids.sh script such that it will no longer
6 recommend any IDs below 101.
7
8 In any case, we have run out of GIDs:
9
10 Recommended GID only: none
11 Recommended UID only: 272
12 Recommended UID+GID pair: none
13 Free UIDs: 15
14 Free GIDs: 0
15 Free UID+GID pairs: 0
16
17 The question is of course how we should move forward. Certainly, using
18 IDs below 100 cannot be the solution, as we would run out of these very
19 soon.
20
21 We could:
22
23 - Open some part of the range between 500 and 1000. For example,
24 500..799, which would leave 200 IDs for dynamic allocation.
25
26 - Open part of the range 60001..65533. Not sure if all software will be
27 happy with that.
28
29 - Admit that the concept of static allocation has failed, and return to
30 dynamic allocation.
31
32 Ulrich