From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage feature suggestion
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:41:31
1 On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:03:00PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > Pete Gavin wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Daniel,
5 > >
6 > > I normally name my patches ${PF}-gentoo.diff, and I was thinking it
7 > > would be cool for ebuild to automatically check for a patch with this
8 > > name in the files directory and apply it in the src_unpack phase if it
9 > > exists. What do you think?
10 > >
11 > > Pete
12 >
13 > Hi Pete,
14 >
15 > I think this is basicly a good idea. I'm not sure if using ${PF} is
16 > neccesary because one must allways copy
17 > the patch even if the change has nothing to do with it.
18 > Do you mean to apply the patch only if the default src_unpack function
19 > is used?
22 Well, I think its better to always use the version and revision on the
23 patch name, because (I think I've said this before) if you change the
24 patch, it would retroactively apply to previous versions/revisions,
25 thus defeating the purpose of even having package versioning.
26
27 And to answer your question, yes, the patch should only be applied in
28 the default src_unpack, the same way ${A} is only unpacked in the
29 default.
30
31 Pete