From: Juergen Ilse <juergen@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] standards/conventions? (LDPATH, include files)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 04:11:10
1 Hello,
2
3 On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 07:33:15PM +0000, tneidt@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4
5 > > Are there any conventions on where to store include files? Also, when
6 > > should one not store files in /usr/lib and instead put a file in
7 > > /etc/env.d that sets LDPATH? The current package I'm working on defaults
8 > > to /usr/lib and /usr/include. I've looked in both of these directories
9 > > and it seems like it should be fine. Is this correct?
10
11 If you need to include files from other directories, you should use
12 the "-I<directory>" compiler-Option, otherwise your source seems to
13 be buggy (only my opinion) ...
14
15 > I also have a somewhat related question. Gentoo Linux doesn't seem to set a
16 > global LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable like most mainstream linux
17 > distributions (RedHat, Debian, etc.) do.
18
19 It is unnecessary. Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also dangerous. It is nothing
20 more than a workaround (except for cases, where a user wants to use his
21 own libraries, which are not installed at the "official places).
22 The "clean way" is to include the library-directories in /etc/ld.so.conf
23 and to use "ldconfig" to update the cache-file (in this case, setting
24 LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be unnecessary for using the system-libraries).
25
26 > I far as I can tell, this is a _good_ thing.
27
28 I don't think so.
29
30 > (see http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html).
31
32 It looks to me, that the author of this website thinks, that "LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
33 ist a very bad idea at all ...
34
35 > However, some applications look for this variable.
36
37 If an application itself (not only the shared library loader) looks for
38 LD_LIBRARY_PATH, may be this application is *broken* ...
39
40 > Is there a way, around this? Specifically, I've been looking into Webmin
41 > (http://www.webmin.com/webmin/), and trying to work up some gentoo config
42 > files for it. The top level config file seems to want LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
43
44 Than fix this config file or fix the application. *DON'T TRY TO FIX THINGS
45 THAT ARE NOT BROKEN!* Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally will IMHO do so ...
46
47 > At least that is what is in the config files for the other
48 > distributions.
49
50 Not all, what you will find in other distributions is really good ...
51
52 ciao,
53 Juergen Ilse (ilse@××××××.de)
54 --
55 Wenn ich auch nur aus jedem 1000. Bug in einem M$ Produkt|Juergen Ilse
56 einen Tag trauern wollte, also da muesste ich 300 Jahre |Internet POP Hannover
57 alt werden und wuerde mehrere Dutzend schwarze Anzuege |Vahrenwalder Str. 205
58 aufbrauchen. (Detlef Bosau in dcoulm) |30165 Hannover