From: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Directory services (was Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:27:46
1 On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 05:21:02PM +0200, c.wegener@××××××××.de wrote:
2
3 [portage in LDAP]
4
5 > As directory services are optimized for read performance, there are
6 > disadvantages for write access to a directory service. But compared to
7 > the amount of user needing read access to a directory service the
8 > number of write access updates should REALLY small.
9 >
10 > I think your bad experience with LDAP as authentication service may
11 > have to do with misconfiguration or lack of optimization.
12
13 I wonder how LDAP should have a better performance than rsync?
14 Are there implementations that support compression while transmitting
15 only the delta between entries?
16
17 I have next to no experience with directory services, so could you
18 please outline a bit further why you think this is better than rsync
19 or a database?
20
21 Yours sceptically,
22