From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/mlt: ChangeLog mlt-0.5.4-r1.ebuild
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:21:10
1 On Saturday 14 August 2010 17:00:38 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 [...]
3 > > > > - There is absolutely no reference to any patch sent upstream and I
4 > > > > have not seen anything on the upstream dev ml.
5 > > >
6 > > > Thats because I didn't. I've fixed more than 40 bug wrt LDFLAGS. Do you
7 > > > expect me to subscribe to 40 different ML and send them upstream?
8 > >
9 > > you don't need to subscribe, there's usually an AUTHORS file with emails
10 > > you can use...
11 >
12 > As I said, I thought that maintainers was responsible to do it since they
13 > follow all the bug progress after all. So according to you I should do all
14 > the work. Tempting
15
16 yes please; I consider not doing it a bit rude as the maintainers will _have_
17 to clean after you.
18
19 > > > The
20 > > > patch is there, the maintainer is CC on the bug. All he has to do it to
21 > > > send this damn patch to upstream.
22 > >
23 > > I can use the same reasoning and ask:
24 > > Why don't you do it in the first place if that's "all" ?
25 >
26 > Cause I cannot maintain all the tree myself
27
28 you're confused; contributing to an(other) OSS project (and retaining
29 authorship of your patches & improvements) does not have much to do with
30 maintaining a package.
31
32 [...]
33 > > > I only do QA fixing. If you have problem touching your
34 > > > packages just say it
35 > >
36 > > I don't have problems with anyone touching "my" packages (esp. when
37 > > they're herds packages...); though when I'm not happy with the technical
38 > > details I let it be known and _really_ appreciate when the comments are
39 > > taken into account instead of aggressively discarded by trying to argue
40 > > why it's not been perfect in the first place ;)
41 > >
42 > > A.
43 >
44 > I don't think what I do is perfect. But all this kind of judgement is
45 > quite demotivated I must say.
46
47 Don't be demotivated. The only "judgement" I made is on the technical side and
48 not on the global goal; on that side you can just fix it, get thanks & kudos
49 and be done :)
50
51 A.