From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for February 26
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:28:57
1 On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:40:26 +0100
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> Be specific. Explain how this works when, say, 0.34.4 is current,
4 > >> you have a 0.34.5_live and 0.34.5 comes out.
5 >
6 > being live working as substitute for 0.34.5_preN (_live) component
7 > the appearance of 0.34.5 will be higher than those. If we consider
8 > the .live alternative you'd have 0.34.live that is shadowed only by
9 > 0.35.x
10
11 So it doesn't work Right.
12
13 > That is pretty much the same you get with -scm, what happens is that
14 > in the case of live template you have portage installing 0.34.5_preN
15 > with revision informations and adding the template to the "live" set.
16
17 No, with -scm the order works correctly.
18
19 > >> How do I track an upstream who has a 0.34 branch (which is equal
20 > >> to or ahead of the most recent 0.34.x release), a 0.36 branch
21 > >> (which is equal to or ahead of the most recent 0.36.x release) and
22 > >> a master branch (which is ahead of any release) using the live
23 > >> property?
24 >
25 > the live property doesn't tell much about versioning
26 > so you could use 9999 as the "x" version component or .live or -scm,
27 > the live property just makes portage aware that the sources are live.
28 >
29 > This situation is one in those pkg-scm and pkg.live work better, but
30 > just for one branch.
31 >
32 > As you said you could address the problem using useflags, so you
33 > could by extension you can use the same way to address the single
34 > case in proposals not supporting the tip of a single non version
35 > branch as well:
36 >
37 > have the all the ebuilds in a package having IUSE=-live that if
38 > enabled triggers the live property and changes the src_uri to the
39 > live branch you desire.
40
41 So if you do that, how does the package manager know that one version
42 is less than another if a particular use flag is enabled, but greater
43 than it if it is disabled?
44
45 > Again it had been answered in the summary anyway.
46
47 I thought you had a better answer than "it doesn't work" that I was
48 just missing. Evidently not...
51 Ciaran McCreesh