From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:14:36
1 I think the actual idea of what Gentoo does is much larger than people tend to realize it. When Linux first came out, it was a hacker's choice and has now expanded into something much greater than Linus himself I think had ever anticipated.
2
3 Now, when this whole idea of "distributions" came to play, I think the general goals of Linux became slightly distorted. In my opinion, the goal of Linux distributions is to get people to move to Linux.
4
5 Now, each distribution does this differently. I think Gentoo mainly comes down to customization (note, NOT SPEED). In a sense, this is why we are able to work so well with the embedded ports, because we can trim things down with that level of customization. Knoppix does it through a ready made CD that users can see what linux looks like. Fedora does it through a binary package system and automated hardware detection. Debian does it through a binary packaging system as well as a somewhat well monitored release system. All in all, everyone's got their own means to meet the same goal, getting people to move to Linux.
6
7 In the end I think that's why it's sometimes frustrating when I see x sucks and y sucks, just to say they suck. Now, saying "I think you should choose x over y because z and z best meets your goals" is something far better.
8
9 So to sum it up, it's not really (for me maybe) about enterprise v. hobbyist, it's about moving ANYONE over to Linux, period.
10
11 Chris White