From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD : .ebuild is only bash
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:49:59
1 >>>>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:58:01 -0400
4 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
5 >> If the answer to this is no, that there should always be only one
6 >> ebuild per package version
7
8 Right.
9
10 > That's already not the way things work, since different version
11 > strings can be equal versions (and it's illegal to do this),
12 > so it's not relevant to the discussion.
13
14 This is a design flaw in our versioning system, and it can only occur
15 in some corner cases where version components have leading zeros. It
16 would be much better if any two different version strings had a unique
17 order relation (as for example it is the case with strverscmp(3)).
18
19 But that's not an excuse for adding another such flaw to our naming
20 scheme.
21
22 Ulrich