From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ironing out release tarballs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:14:03
1 On 15 Oct 2015 12:15, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 10/15/2015 08:34 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > background:
4 > > everyone wants @system to be slim, but most people want the initial stage
5 > > tarball that we release and you install Gentoo from to not be completely
6 > > sparse. we've got a bug for this topic:
7 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/393445
8 > >
9 > > items to sort out:
10 > > - should the list of packages be in catalyst or profile-stacked content
11 > > -> imo it should be entirely in the profile
12 > >
13 > > - should the packages list be in a new packages.default, or should we create a
14 > > new set to hold it, or should we just go with @profile ?
15 > > -> @profile has the advantage of already existing. we have to be careful so as
16 > > to make it difficult to uninstall packages that the user does not actually
17 > > want.
18 >
19 > In portage, the current meaning of @profile is very similar to @system,
20 > except that it implies that members specify dependencies completely
21 > (allowing for optimal parallelization) [1]. The @profile set is only
22 > enabled for profiles from repositories that have "profile-formats =
23 > profile-set" set in metadata/layout.conf. It's an extension which is not
24 > covered by PMS.
25
26 layout.conf isn't covered by PMS, nor are sets, and packages file format is
27 compatible with PMS. so i think we are OK here.
28
29 > > - if the packages aren't in @profile, should they be seeded in @world ?
30 > > -> imo yes as we don't want all the default packages getting depcleaned as
31 > > soon as you start using the new install. if they're in @profile, then this
32 > > is a moot point (assuming depclean does not clean out @profile).
33 >
34 > In portage, @world = @profile + @selected + @system, which means that
35 > @profile is protected from depclean since it's a part of @world.
36
37 so if iputils is in @profile, and i do:
38 emerge -C iputils
39 i don't get the ugly warning about it being in @system, but if i do:
40 emerge @world
41 iputils comes back. i think that's OK actually since people can do:
42 emerge @selected
43 which has the classic @world meaning.
44 -mike