From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:29:51
1 Give this a read :) All about case sensitivity.
2
3 ----- Forwarded message from Rudi Chiarito <rudi@×××××.com> -----
4
5 To: open@×××××.com
6 Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:44:25 -0600
7 From: Rudi Chiarito <rudi@×××××.com>
8 Subject: AMIOPEN: Re: System case (in)sensitivity.
11 On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 11:37:38AM -0800, Joe Kiniry wrote:
12 > 1. The majority of written human languages (spoken, mathematical, and
13 > symbolic) do differentiate characters with a notion of "case". Some also
14 > differentiate with other typographic notions; font characteristics in
15 > mathematics as the primary example.
16
17 They make the distinction for different reasons, though.
18
19 Most natural languages actually don't. It's only languages derived from
20 European scripts (Roman, Greek) that do it. Even for those, it's a fairly
21 recent development. If you look at the wonderful inscriptions (often a
22 work of art of their own) on any monument from Classic Greece or Ancient
23 Rome, you'll see that all of them are in uppercase. The modern Greek
24 small letters didn't exist before the 9th century, when the Byzantine
25 minuscule script was introduced. Such script, based on cursive styles
26 that scribes had developed through the centuries, with time evolved into
27 the lowercase characters we frequently use in e.g. trigonometry. Same
28 with the Roman script: it was Charlemagne's reforms around the 9th
29 century that brought the Carolingian Minuscule script, which is the basis
30 for today's scripts.
31
32 Johann Gutenberg's invention of printing happened at a time when
33 scholars, in the context of Humanism, had reformed scripts with the
34 explicit purpose of improving both legibility and aestethics. Thus,
35 printers like William Caxton in England or Aldus Manutius in Venice, when
36 creating their own models, relied heavily on what was common in those
37 days, i.e. Humanist scripts, which descended from Carolingian Minuscule
38 (something similar occurred with models for Greek text). Printing was a
39 major factor in making minuscules widely accepted, because one of their
40 main advantages, compared to older or Gothic scripts, is excellent
41 legibility even at small sizes and that was a desirable feature for
42 printers (the smaller the type, the more costs went down).
43
44 All of the above to say that it was calligraphy to bring us capital and
45 small letters. Caesar and Romans of his time did just fine with capital
46 letters only. We have rules today that we are taught to follow in school,
47 yes, but they're not essential for communication. When text is sent as a
48 telegram, in Morse code or as a SMS message (because it's already enough
49 of a pain to write on a cellular phone a message with the proper letters,
50 let alone with proper case), we still understand what the sender meant,
51 even if it's all in uppercase.
52
53 Interestingly enough, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, etc. do
54 not feature any notion of anything resembling cases - Japanese has
55 furiganas and half-width characters, but I'm not sure if they could be
56 considered the same. The only language not descending from European
57 scripts to use something like case is Javanese - they use "their
58 uppercase" for proper names, with the difference that their capital
59 letters can occur also in the middle of a proper name, not just as the
60 beginning as we are accustomed to.
61
62 Even with languages using the same script you have different rules.
63 English uses capital letters in e.g. "a Greek dentist" and "on December
64 21", but an Italian would say "un dentista greco" and "il 21 dicembre".
65 That can only confuse things some more.
66
67 Mathematics has a different problem. It just can't have enough symbols to
68 represent so many entities. When you need to refer to a constant, to a
69 variable, to an operation, etc. and you want to keep representation
70 concise _and_ you want to avoid ambiguities, your only solution is to use
71 a large number of symbols. So, first you start, out of familiarity, with
72 your own alphabet (e.g. Roman), then you use somebody else's (e.g.
73 Greek), then you start making variations on what you already have: e.g.
74 the "for each" upside-down A quantifier, Roman characters with apices,
75 in italic or in a different font. I haven't counted them, but I think
76 Unicode has more than 1000 or 2000 symbols for mathematics.
77
78 Mathematics has to use case and other techniques just out of sheer
79 necessity, because otherwise it'd easily fall into ambiguities, which
80 would defy one of its main aims. With most natural languages, on the
81 other hand, ambiguities are allowed - and are quite common indeed - but
82 they're resolved at one level or another anyway and as such don't pose
83 serious risks to communication.
84
85 > 2. The most widely used computer on the planet that purportedly appeals to
86 > beginning computer users is the Macintosh. Macs *are* case sensitive.
87
88 I have used Macs many times but never noticed that. Surprising. I suppose
89 that's because most Mac users never specify filenames with the keyboard,
90 they just point and click.
91
92 > The UNIX and Mac users typically stated a variation of the following with
93 > regards to the second question: "Why wouldn't you? We write with case, and
94 > its never caused me trouble before." Often such comments were made with a
95
96 We Westerners do, but e.g. the Japanese don't. That's one of the many
97 reasons they had many problems getting familiar with the Western concept
98 of typewriter or word processor.
101 "I think love lyrics have contributed to the general aura of bad mental
102 health in America." (Frank Zappa)
103 Rudi Chiarito SGML/XML, user interface, i18n Amiga Inc.
104 rudi@×××××.com http://amiga.com/
107 Subscribe/Unsubscribe: open-request@×××××.com
108 Amiga FAQ: http://www.amiga.com/faq.html
112 ----- End forwarded message -----