From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Moving some packages around
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 00:59:17
1 I've been thinking today that we have a lot of things in sys-devel that
2 shouldn't probably be there, like pmake and bmake.
3
4 I'd propose the following move, if nobody has arguments aginst those:
5
6 sys-devel/bmake -> dev-util/bmake
7 sys-devel/pmake -> dev-util/pmake
8 sys-devel/bison -> dev-util/bison
9 sys-devel/flex -> dev-util/flex
10 sys-devel/autoconf-archive -> dev-util/autoconf-archive
11 sys-devel/ac-archive -> dev-util/ac-archive
12 sys-devel/cons -> dev-util/cons
13 sys-devel/gdb -> dev-util/gdb
14 sys-devel/omni -> dev-lang/omni
15
16 Reasoning for the moves:
17
18 - bmake and pmake are additional make commands from the basic one,
19 G/*BSD will have their own in -ubin or -bin, while the rest of the
20 system uses GNU make as sys-devel/make;
21 - bison and flex should get out of the system package set, what clearer
22 than moving them out of sys-*? They are not so commonly used so there
23 should no compelling reason to have them installed on every system;
24 - autoconf-archive and ac-archive are not really something for your
25 system;
26 - cons is not commonly used as build system, so should probably be
27 together with the other not-so-used build systems;
28 - gdb is not part of the system, this might be a problem for
29 crossdev...;
30 - omni is ... well not something I'd look for in sys; plus it's a
31 compiler so it would probably suite dev-lang better.
32
33 There are a few I'm not sure of because I don't know the package at all,
34 or because I have mixed feelings about them:
35
36 sys-devel/remake -> dev-util/remake
37 sys-devel/sparse -> dev-util/sparse
38 sys-devel/distcc -> dev-util/distcc
39 sys-devel/icecream -> dev-util/icecream
40 sys-devel/m4 -> dev-lang/m4
41 sys-devel/patch -> app-text/patch
42 sys-devel/prelink -> sys-apps/prelink (something else? It's not a devel
43 package...)
44 sys-devel/autogen -> dev-util/autogen
45 sys-devel/dev86 -> dev-lang/dev86
46 sys-devel/bin86 -> dev-lang/bin86
47 sys-devel/gettext -> app-i18n/gettext (well, it's part of system for
48 G/FBSD, but I'd rather have deps expressed properly...)
49
50 Yes these are a lot of moves, sincerely I think sys-* categories are a
51 bit bloated as they are, and I suppose we should start moving the things
52 around rather than waiting forever ad ever..
55 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
56 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/