From: Andrew Cooks <andrew@××××××××××××.za>
To: Peter Cech <cech@×××××××××.sk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming repoman check will fail on large files in the tree
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:32:44
1 Peter Cech wrote:
2 > None of the files is needed prior to emerge -f. Most of them are never
3 > used, but have to be transfered on emerge sync and have to be on the
4 > harddrive. IMO this part of portage tree should be moved out and
5 > downloaded with sources on fetch step.
6
7 I completely agree!
8
9 Some of the machines I maintain (like my home machine and my parents')
10 only have access to 56k dialup and there's no local official rsync
11 mirror for South Africa. The source files are easy to get hold of and
12 can easily be transfered by CD/usb device, but keeping the tree in sync
13 is a much tougher task.
14
15 Please keep the tree lean!
16