From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:49:06
1 Problem:
2 The current proposal can not specify which permutations are valid.
3
4 Solution:
5 I can't see one that doesn't either include ridiculous complexity or amount to
6 being a "keyword explosion".
7
8 Thoughts:
9 The only way I can see it being fully supported is by widening the gap between
10 testing and stable. Furthermore, testing would need to become *real* testing.
11 Here are examples taken from the GLEP:
12
13   ARCH: x86, amd64, cobalt, mips64, arm, hppa, ia64, ppc64, sparc
14   KERNEL: linux, selinux, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
15   LIBC: glibc, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
16   USERLAND: gnu, bsd
17
18 Now for ARCH, a recent (official?) policy states that no ARCH-specific patches
19 should be applied to source code. If a patch needs to be applied, it should
20 work on all ARCHs. To this end, I can't see why ARCH-specific keywords need
21 to exist at all. This leaves:
22
23   KERNEL: linux, selinux, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
24   LIBC: glibc, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
25   USERLAND: gnu, bsd
26
27 Next I'll look at USERLAND. As far as I know, it's not possible to run a gnu
28 USERLAND on anything other than a glibc LIBC. Conversely, a bsd USERLAND
29 cannot run on a glibc LIBC. I can only imagine very rare circumstances where
30 a LIBC would support multiple USERLANDs and an application would care what
31 specific USERLAND it is. To this end, the USERLAND can be dropped and rolled
32 into LIBC if it is ever required. This leaves:
33
34   KERNEL: linux, selinux, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
35   LIBC: glibc, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
36
37 I'll just put forward the permutations of these that I am aware of and leave
38 them for later discussion:
39
40 linux-glibc, selinux-glibc, freebsd-glibc, netbsd-glibc, openbsd-openbsd,
41 freebsd-freebsd, netbsd-netbsd, maxosx-macosx.
42
43 A total of 8 permutations.. How many ARCH keywords do we have at the moment?
44
45 Of course, this idea is based on dropping ~arch and arch altogether. I don't
46 have a non-x86 arch (yet!) but as far as I know most software will work with
47 no modification. For software that doesn't work and a quick fix can't be
48 found, I would suggest a new portage/profiles/<profile>/package.mask.
49
50 Well, that's enough for now. Who'll be the first to say how bad this idea is,
51 I wonder... ;)
52
53 Regards,
54 Jason Stubbs