From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining TZ in the base system profile?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 06:04:46
1 On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 08:48:56PM -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 >
3 > So this article[1] from 2017 popped up again on the tech radar via hackernews[2] and a few other sites[3]. It
4 > annotates how if the envvar TZ is undefined on a Linux system, it causes glibc to generate a number of
5 > additional syscalls, mainly stat-related calls (in my tests, newfstatat()). If defined to an actual value,
6 > such as ":/etc/localtime" (or even an empty string), glibc will instead generate far fewer, if any at all, of
7 > these stat-related syscalls.
8 [...]
9 >
10 > Thoughts?
11
12 Sounds good to me from the little I know of it, albeit I do imagine it
13 could raise issues with some packages that try to use/handle TZ
14 themselves and no telling what obscure thing this is going to break.
15
16 exa[1][2] is one example that sam mentioned, but I imagine there's
17 more to find.
18
19 Personally added to /etc/env.d locally anyway, will see what come of it
20 for the things I use, not that this covers much at all :)
21
22 [1] https://github.com/ogham/exa/issues/856
23 [2] https://github.com/ogham/exa/pull/867
24 --